Saturday, February 6, 2010

As I Witnessed in the North Pacific 3,460 Nautical Miles



In 1958, Don MacFarland and a group of friends made a raft and sailed from California to Hawaii. In 2008, Marcus Eriksen and Joel Pascal did the same. This video describes the drastic difference in their experiences. In the end, we are removing the fish by over fishing and replacing them with plastic. Not to mention, plastics put an added strain on the marine life populations due to entanglement and ingestion of plastics that often lead to slow painful deaths.

One of the most surprising things to me while we were out at sea for a month was the lack of marine life. I didn't see ANY sea turtles, whales, dolphins, sharks or schools of fish. The only time I saw fish was when there was a large plastic item in the ocean like ghostnets or barrels. Think about that, a month at sea and I didn't see hardly any fish and not one marine mammal. Watching this video made me realize what I experienced may be a sign of a sea change.

1 comment: